Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fried Rice

2 cups uncooked long grain rice
3 eggs
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup diced onion (white or green or mixture)
3/4 cup frozen peas
Any other veggies you want (I like shredded red cabbage... or even broccoli or snow peas would be fun!)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tsp
5 spice powder  (you can buy this at the store, or you can look it up online and find a substitute -see my comments for more info)
2 Tablespoons butter
salt &pepper to taste

Cook the rice according to the package directions. Let the rice cool.Beat eggs in a small bowl and scramble in a large skillet over medium high heat. As they cook, break the eggs into smaller chunks. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots and peas (or whatever other veggies). Immediately top with the cooked rice. Do not stir for about 1 minute, to allow the peas to heat through a little. Then toss veggies and rice together and continue to cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring often. Add soy sauce, 5 spice powder, and scrambled eggs. Toss to combine all ingredients. Taste, and add salt, pepper and more soy sauce if you desire.

Price Guesstimate: $2-3

Steph's Comments: I got this recipe here. I left out the sesame seeds that she adds - just to save on some cost. As for the chinese 5 spice powder -you will really like it if you like the "sweet" chinese flavor (like my husband!). I prefer salty, so I think next time I will leave that out and add my own spice mixes- probably garlic powder, ginger, and lots of soy sauce (I love soy sauce!)... but I was glad to know about the spice and try it. This is a really quick meal (well, I guess you have to cook the rice, that's it!) and it was filling and yummy. I'm glad to have tried it and will be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment